Speech & Debate
Speech and Debate taught me how to bring life to the words i read on paper and helped me enjoy speaking in public.
Speech Communications: The Speech course is an introductory one-semester course through which students learn the basics of public speaking. Students learn how to outline, research appropriate material, and effectively deliver a speech. The various kinds of speeches that are covered are: impromptu, informative, persuasive, and oral interpretation.
Debate Communications: The Debate course is an introductory one-semester course through which students learn to think critically and respond to a resolution based on a current social issue. They apply these skills in the debate of timely issues from a biblical worldview through composition, analytical reading and oral communication. Students learn to access, evaluate, organize, and use information from a variety of sources, critically assess the value of various arguments, refute false arguments and construct an effective and cogent argument. Students participate in informal moderated classroom debate and public speaking opportunities.
Through this program I've learned the importance of efficient communication & developed long lasting friendships
- PCA is a chapter member of the Association of Christian Schools International and competes in the District Speech Meet each spring semester. Students 1st-6th grade are eligible to compete at the In-House Speech Meet competition prior to ACSI District Meet.
- For more information regarding Speech Meet please go to "Current Families."
- Our Upper School and Middle School teams are registered chapters of the National Speech and Debate Association & Texas Forensic Association.
- The program is for Upper and Middle School students desiring to excel in interpretation, speech, debate and competition.
- Registration details for Speech and Debate Team in "Current Families"
Joining the team helped me advance in the art of argumentation and introduced me to life long friends
The National and State tournaments represent the ultimate in achievement within our membership while our honorary society rewards participation in the activity across the board. As our society communicates increasingly faster in this age of information, our mission is perhaps more relevant than ever.