APPLE FOR EVERYONE FAQ
- What is Apple® for Everyone?
- How much student work will be online?
- Do students have to participate in Apple® for Everyone?
- Why Apple® devices?
- Can my child personalize their computer case?
- Does my child have to use the PCA-provided case?
- Will students take devices with them to the next grade level?
- When does a student return their device to PCA?
- What is PCA doing about internet security?
- How do I take care of my device?
- Can PCA inspect my child’s device?
- Does Apple® for Everyone cost anything?
Apple® for Everyone gives students tools to access, create, share and collaborate as digital citizens. It is a reflection of our commitment to provide all students with a personalized educational experience.
Apple® for Everyone helps students, parents and teachers collaborate anytime, anywhere by providing the right technology at the right time – whether a laptop (MacBook Air) or tablet (iPad), depending on the learning task. These mobile devices provide students with valuable educational resources which are instrumental in improving achievement and engagement.
To provide students with choice, Apple® for Everyone combines the following elements:
- Students in Pre-Kindergarten will have access to class sets of iPads
- Students in grades K - 4 receive an iPad to use at school
- Students in grade 5 - 6 receive an iPad to use at school or at home
- Students in grades 7 - 12 receive MacBook Airs to use at school or home
- MacBook Pros and iPad Pros for teachers and administrators
Students in the Lower School will be assigned a device at the beginning of each school year that has been set up for the specific grade level. Students in 5th & 6th grades will keep their iPads. Students in 7th – 12th grades will be assigned the same MacBook Air throughout the life span of the device or throughout the student’s duration at PCA. The PCA Technology Services staff offers technology assistance and repair throughout the school year and summer.
PCA and PWBC filters block inappropriate websites. Attempts to view inappropriate content will display a “blocked content” page on the device. Inappropriate content is not allowed on any PCA device.
As digital natives, PCA students have grown up knowing the importance of being responsible digital citizens, and students and parents/guardians are required to sign an Acceptable Use Policy, or AUP, stating they have read, understand and will honor these standards.
It is imperative to keep the devices clean and in working order. Below are some tips to care for device screens:
- Be cautious with the device, especially when around liquids and/or heat.
- Do not allow any open cups on the same surface as your device. Cap water bottles and put all drinks on the floor.
- Do not remove the school-provided case from the device at any time.
- Clean the screen with a soft, dry cloth. Do not use Windex or harsh chemicals on screens.
- Do not leave a device in an environment with extreme temperatures such as outdoors in the sun or in a car.
Each device comes with a power cord, which should be used to charge the device each evening at home. It is the student’s responsibility to bring their device fully charged to school daily.