Frequently Asked Questions
- Who takes PCAplus Virtual Academy classes?
- Why would someone take a course from PVA?
- What are the advantages of taking a course from PVA
- A full-time virtual academy student
- Hybrid student taking courses part-time somewhere else
- Take a course needed for graduating on time
- To accelerate graduation
- Make up course work
- To help balance academic and curricular activities
- To take a course not offered at their school
- Due to homebound reasons
- Have experience in the online educational world before college
- Students working through word processing programs often spend more time editing and revising their work.
- Shy or reserved students are more likely to participate than in the normal classroom environment.
- All lectures, notes, presentations, discussions and web links are easily accessible for student review at any time.
- When Do PVA classes begin?
- How long do students have to complete courses?
- Is There a Certain Schedule Student Must Follow?
- Can Students Select Their Classes?
- Are Credits Transferable?
- Graduating from PCAplus Virtual Academy?
- Is PVA Accredited?
- Are PVA Courses NCAA Eligible?
Students request classes Monday through Wednesday. Typically by Sunday, students receive course verification and on Monday receive their login information. Students begin the Orientation, which gives them important information on how to work in the course system, as well as, information on the late work policy and academic integrity.
A full year course runs for 36 weeks; however, students work at their own pace and can finish a class as early as 12 weeks (or 6 weeks for a semester course) or students may even submit a course extension request if they need more time. For our elite athletes, we schedule courses for a full 12 months, but most athletes finish early.
Credits from other online schools or home school are transferable as long as the other online school is accredited and/or your home school class has been verified for completion and credit is shown on a transcript. Credit for the course transfers, but GPA only includes courses take through PCAplus or PCA.
- How to Apply?
- How is Admission Determined?
- When Are Applications Due?
- Do Students Take Admission Tests?
- Do Students Have to Be Enrolled Full-Time
- Will My Child Have a Teacher?
- Who Are PVA Teachers?
- Are Virtual Class Teachers Certified?
- How Can Students Contact Teachers?
The Virtual Academy teachers love their students and demonstrate outstanding skill in online instruction. Teachers have: applied; been through an extensive hiring process including references checked, drug screening and had a criminal background check. After this, teachers are trained, mentored and given continued staff development.
Teachers make initial contact (phone call, email or skype) with all students and parents before the student begins the class. During this contact the teacher provides for the students their email address, skype address and phone number along with the teacher’s office hours. Teachers are required to reply to student contact within 24 hours.